Egyptian Museum is the museum of antiquities which is known as Museum of Cairo. It was first built in Boulak during the period of Khedive Abbass Helmi II in 1897, and was opened in 1902.In 1981 it was moved to Giza palace of Ismail pasha, from where the antiquities were later moved to the present building. This museum was designed in Neoclassical style by Marcel Dourgnon and split into many sections. The museum building consists of two floors. The ground floor consists of the collections from Papyrus and Coins. The Papyrus are small pieces which is written in different languages such as Greek, Latin and ancient Egyptian. The collection of coins includes from Egypt, Greek, Roman and Islamic, where those are made by the materials like gold silver and Bronze. The two galleries at the museum consist of mummies of kings and other royal families. The museum collapsed in 2011 and many collections were damaged and lost due to this crisis and in 2011, around 25 collections have been recovered and exhibited in the exhibition titled as damaged and restored. A trip to this museum will be a great chance to view the fantastic antiquities of Egyptians.
See also : Visit the Solar Boat Museum
How to Reach:
By Bus: Take the bus number 400 from Cairo which takes 5 minutes to reach the destination.
By Metro: The nearest metro station is Sadat which takes 8 minutes to reach the museum.
Egyptians: 60 EGP
Egyptian Students: 30 EGP
Timings: Opens daily from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Address: Tahrir Square, Meret Basha, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate 11516.
Contact number: +20 2 33777263."