The Coptic Museum is a museum in Coptic Cairo, Egypt. It was established by Marcus Smeka Pasha in 1910 and was renovated in 2006. It is situated in the heart of Coptic Cairo. The museum consists of two sections. The old section is established by the Smeka Pasha and the new section consists of two floors which were opened for public in 2006 after the renovation. The museum studies about the history of Christianity from the origin to the present. It holds the world’s largest collection of Coptic artifacts and artworks. It houses the collection of 16,000 artifacts which are arranged in twelve sections in chronological order. It also displays Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman traditions. The objects include stonework, woodwork, metalwork, textiles and manuscripts and religious items. The museum also includes a library. Smeka Pasha took huge efforts to preserve the antiquities and art. It costs around 30 million pounds to renovate the museum because it was damaged by the earth quake in 1992. One can enjoy the beauty of this museum which is bounded by gardens, courtyards and the old Coptic Churches.
See also : Enjoy the Sufi Tannoura dance
How to Reach:
By Metro: Nearest metro station is Mar Girgis Station which is located in front of this museum.
By Bus: Go by bus numbers 355, 356 and 357 from Downtown to Giza from where it takes 1.5 miles to reach the destination.
Egyptian: EGP 2
Egyptian Students: EGP 1
Foreigners: EGP 40
Foreign Students: EGP 20
Timings: Opens daily from 09:00 am to 09:00 pm except Friday.
Address: Kom Ghorab, Misr Al Qadimah, Cairo Governate, Egypt.
Contact Number: +20 2 23639742."